Every responsible dog owner knows that there are foods that are allowed for your dog and there?s food that?s downright dangerous and even potentially toxic for them. Knowing which is which could be a matter of life or death so we decided to compose a list of 6 of the most dangerous foods you should avoid feeding to your dog.
We all tend to give our dogs healthy food but once in a while we cave in to those big, brown eyes and insatiable look and we break the rules. Giving your dog a piece of cheese or a hot dog will certainly not cause any trouble but foods that contain xylitol or chocolate could be quite dangerous.
6 Human Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat
Onions, chives and garlic
Onions, chives and garlic can lead to gastrointestinal irritation in both cats and dogs and could cause damage to the red blood cells. It?s true that cats are at a higher risk but dog could suffer damages as well if they consume it in larger amounts.
Chocolate and caffeine
Both chocolate and caffeine contain compounds called methylxanthines. This compound can be found in cacao seeds. It has been known to cause vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination, thirst and panting if the pet ingests it. In more severe cases, the intoxication can lead to seizures, tremors, hyperactivity and even death. If larger quantities are ingested, you need to be super-careful. The most dangerous type of chocolate is dark chocolate. It contains the highest levels of cacao. On the other hand, milk chocolate is less dangerous, with white chocolate being the least dangerous type.
Nuts like macadamia, pecans, almonds and walnuts are high in fats and oils. If they?re ingested by your dog it can lead to diarrhea and vomiting and possibly cause pancreatitis. Macadamia nuts are the most dangerous of all nuts as they can also cause weakness, hyperthermia, tremors and even depression. The first signs of nuts intoxication can appear in about 12 hours and can last up to 2 days.
Alcohol and foods that contain alcohol can have a detrimental effect on your dog?s health. They can cause diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, and coordination problems. In some cases, it can lead to breathing difficulties, blood acidity and eventually coma and death. You should never give your dog alcohol, under any circumstances. If your dog has ingested alcohol by accident you need to see a vet immediately and take action to prevent intoxication.
This artificial sweetener is commonly used in the production of gums, toothpaste, baked goods and candy. It may be safe for humans, but not for dogs as it may lead to insulin release and potential liver failure. The insulin increase can lead to decreased sugar levels. Symptoms of xylitol intoxication are lethargy, vomiting and decreased coordination. If not treated in time, your dog can also develop seizures.
Yes, it may be surprising but yeast dough can be dangerous for your pet. How come? Well, it can rise in his digestive system and cause gasses to accumulate. This can lead to stomach bloating and pain and eventually cause the stomach to twist, which can have life-threatening consequences. Moreover, ethanol is a by-product of yeast and can have similar effects as alcohol in pets.